Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
April 25, 2012Consider this an update.
As we plow through the spring, the days quickly passing, trust me, work on the Huskerland football preview magazine continues at a furious pace.
Thanks to a recent surge in response from coaches we have received right at 70% of the team preview information sheets back in our office. That still leaves 30% outstanding but that's a lot better than the 70% or so we were missing three weeks ago. Thank you coaches for your help.
Part of the reason for my annual nervousness about such things is that our deadline for the publisher is June 15. Not July 15, nor August 15, but June 15. The good news for me is that once it's done, it's done; the bad news is it can be a killer schedule to get to that point. (Huskerland Bob, do you serve cheese with that whine...)
Much of the copy for our book can be generated from our office. Give me a phone, some preview sheets and some time (wish I had more time...) and we can cobble something together. Where we need to rely on some outside sources, and a little luck, is when we put together the trips to visit our feature story subjects.
There are 21 of them this year, a bit higher than usual, and they range from the Panhandle to the Missouri River; it IS called Huskerland, after all. Trying to coordinate those face-to-face visits - my favorite part of this crazy hobby of mine - almost always goes smoothly. Been lucky, I admit it.
This is not one of those years. Between spring sports and that darn educational process - school really messes up sports, doesn't it?! - trying to get these interviews scheduled in an orderly manner has been, well, impossible. Everybody's luck runs out sometime...
It's nobody's fault but it does mean some of these interviews are going to get done much later than usual. And this is also the year I decided I would make some extra stops on these trips, sneak in some extra interviews and face-to-face visits with coaches, but that's not working out either. Oh, well.
As the Chief Dan told the Outlaw Josey Wales, "we will endeavor to persevere." It'll get done and it will be fun to see the players and coaches when we finally find our common ground...